Sunday, October 20, 2013

I Just Want to Squish Them: A Bug Review

A few weeks ago, I placed an order for two hundred Silkworms from Mulberry Farms. They were sent to me via USPS, and although they all survived, there was a lot of miscommunication at the postal office. I am very pleased with Mulberry Farms, and their shipping practices, though I do recommend tracking your package to ensure you receive the insects in good condition. The post office did not notify me, despite the warning "Call when arrived" sticker, and I honestly don't know when they would have found my package had I not kept track.

The Silkworms were purchased with the intent of breeding, but it has become obvious over the few days they have been in my care that it is not an endeavor I wish to pursue. Silkworms, as stated on many other websites, are high maintenance critters, with food and cleaning requirements that go beyond what I am willing to provide for a feeder insect. Furthermore, while my tegu did attempt to eat a few initially, she soon became disinterested leaving me with 190 + uneaten worms.

On that note, I would not discourage other reptile owners from trying Silkworms, as long as they are aware of the potential financial loss (they are not cheap!) if their reptile does not like Silkworms. Mulberry farms is also a great company to do business with if you are looking for an insect provider: crickets, mealworms, silkworms, hornworms, etc.